When Progress M-016M launches on 01 August the craft will conduct an experiment to dock with the International Space Station during its fourth orbit instead of the usual 34th orbit. This is expected to save around 45 hours on the normal flight profile used by previous Progress resupply craft. Once launched the craft will conduct four manoeuvers during orbits one and two and five or six manoeuvers during orbits three and four to achieve the rendezvous and docking during orbit four. This rapid rendezvous flight profile requires the Soyuz launch vehicle to be launched and achieve orbital insertion at an extremely precise time. If this experiment is successful this rapid rendezvous flight profile could then be used for subsequent Soyuz TMA launches reducing the amount of time the onboard crew of Cosmonauts and Astronauts are kept inside the cramped confines of the craft from two days to about six hours.
Seradata produce the renowned SpaceTrak Launch & Satellite Database. Trusted by 100 of the world’s leading Space organisations, SpaceTrak is a fully queryable database used for market analysis, failure/risk assessment, spectrum analysis and space situational awareness (SSA).
For more information go to www.seradata.com/spacetrak
Politics were not dominated by space during 2012, but they were a factor. The elephant in the room was, of Read more
North Korea has announced that it intends to launch the second Kwangmyonsong 3 satellite on a Unha launch vehicle from Read more
Space geeks will know that."Don't Panic" is a phrase written on the cover of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Read more
The Space Shuttle Endeavour was carefully moved through the streets of Los Angeles on the back of a specialist vehicle Read more
Following the launch failure of the Proton M/Breeze M whicl lost the Express MD2 and Telkom 3 satellites on 6 Read more
A Russian Proton M launch vehicle launched the Telkom 3 and Express MD-2 satellites at 1931 GMT on 6 August. During Read more
With a total world television audience watching its coverage estimated at being well over 4 billion views, with satellites beaming Read more
- TAIFA-1 to be built by Endurosat for Kenya’s Sayari Labs, launched on Falcon 9 as Endurosat also tapped to build space weather cubesat for Mission Space
- China launches Long March 4C out of Jiuquan carrying Ludi Tance radar sat
- James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) puts itself into Halo orbit around Sun-Earth L2
- One Starlink launch batch does not look very healthy: one in five satellites appear to have failed
- ULA Atlas V launch vehicle in “Lopsided” 511 configuration flies straight to put a pair of satellite GSSAP satellite snoopers into orbit